- Automotive Skills Center Information
The Automotive Skills Center has 24 open bays, hydraulic lifts, "state of the art" tools and equipment for use on all domestic and foreign vehicles.
We provide a safe, clean and earth-friendly environment, technical assistance, tools and equipment for patrons to make repairs and maintenance on privately owned vehicles and equipment. You do the work. We ensure industry standards are met. We have three qualified employees and volunteers to guide you through repairs.
Active-duty, DoD Civilians, DoD Contractors, retired and reservist personnel and their Family members.
Staff Hands-On Repairs and Maintenance Assistance
The staff of the Auto Skills Center will provide instruction on keeping your vehicle in tip-top shape. If hands-on repairs and maintenance assistance by staff are requested (after instruction), the assistance may be limited due to lack of expertise and availability, and will be subject to fees of $70 per hour.
Safety Training Class - $5 per person
The Automotive Skills Center requires that all patrons utilizing the facility and equipment attend the 30-minute safety and orientation class prior to their first time using the facility. The safety class is also required for all patrons assisting users including children ages 12-17.
Classes are held every Friday at 12:30 p.m. and 6 p.m.
The Fort George G. Meade Automotive Skills Center is a self-help center and your resource for maintaining and making minor and major repairs on privately owned vehicles. Family and MWR’s Automotive Skills Center offers a modern working environment complete with 12 lift bays and 9 open bays, state-of-the-art mechanical and diagnostic tools and equipment, and qualified and friendly staff members available for guidance and instruction.
NOTE: The Auto Skills Center requires that all patrons utilizing the center & equipment to attend the Safety Training Course prior to their first time using the center.
Children under the age of 12 are not authorized to be in the fenced compound.
Children ages 12-17 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
Open-toed shoes and shorts are not permitted at any time.
All work in the center must stop thirty minutes prior to the scheduled closing time.
No new work will begin one hour before closing.
Universal automotive supplies and fluids are available for purchase.
- Safety Rules and Regulations
- Valid forms of identification must include military affiliation, name, photograph, and expiration date.
(Examples: CAC card, CWF card, Military I.D.)
- Attendance in the Automotive Skills Centers Safety Class is mandatory for all first time users of the facility
- Only vehicles whose owners are eligible are allowed inside the facility
- Commercial vehicles are not allowed to utilize the facility
- All services are provided on a first come, first served basis
- Children 12 years or younger are not allowed to enter the facility which includes the fenced parking lot
- You must be 18 years of age or older to work without adult supervision
- Open toed shoes are not allowed in the shop area (Examples: flip flops, sandals, etc.)
- Working on vehicles in the parking lot area is not allowed, unless authorized by management
- Before raising vehicles on a lift, ensure all vehicle doors, trunk and hood are closed
- Be aware of ceiling height markers when lifting vehicles
- Ensure center aisle remains clear of any debris, hoses, fluids, and cords
- Smoking is only permitted 50 feet from the building
- Aerosol or spray painting is not allowed in this facility
- Sanding of paint or body filler is not allowed in this facility
- Removal of fuel tanks is not allowed in this facility
- Tire disposal is not allowed; patrons must remove unused tires from the premises
- Dispose of your waste in the specified waste containers
(Example: drainage area for bottles and filters, antifreeze, metal scrap, large cardboard boxes, and plastics)
- Use Exhaust Removal System if engine is running more than two minutes inside of the facility
- Return all equipment, tools, and drain pans in clean condition
- Patrons are responsible for any tools that are lost or returned damaged; Charges will apply
- Use hearing and eye protection when using any air, impact, or motorized tools
- Do not use your own tools, unless authorized by management
- Do not leave tools near tool room area, unless you have been ensured they have been accounted for as they are your responsibility
- If equipment is found to be faulty or damaged when you receive it; bring to the staff's attention immediately
- Use absorbent to clean up any fluid spills; do not use a mop to attempt to clean it
- Do not park in front of bay door once your work is completed
- Check out only after bay area is swept and mopped, workbench is clean, and all tools have been turned in
- All vehicles that are parked at the facility overnight must be reported to the front desk
- Vehicle Storage is for the sole intent to perform repairs on that vehicle
- Expert Services Available
- Complete on and off the car starting and charging
- Systems diagnostics and testing
- Computer scanning of 1980-2016 vehicles
- Brake lathe
- Tire change equipment
- Precision computer wheel balancing
- Air conditioning servicing by qualified specialist
- Online vehicle repair library
- Fees and Charges
Basic Usage Fee per hour Flat Bay Fee (0-60 minutes) $10 Flat Bay Fee $2.50 per 15 minutes after 60 minutes Lift Bay Fee (0-60 minutes) $12 Lift Bay Fee $3 per 15 minutes after 60 minutes Wash Bay (0-60 minutes) $2.50 Wash Bay $.75 per 15 minute after 60 minutes Bench Fee (0-60 minutes) $7 Bench Fee $1.75 per 15 minutes after 60 minutes
Miscellaneous item/service Fee Computerized Vehicle Diagnostics (Code Read)
$15 plus bay fee Strut Compressor $8 plus bay fee Hydraulic Press $5 per use Booster/Battery Test $3 plus bay fee Battery Charger $5 per use Hub Bearing Tool Kit $5 per use Cut Off Tools & Die Grinder $3 per use Specialty Diagnostic Tools $6 per use Grease Gun $2 per use Welding $40 per hour
Cleaning Item Fee Wet / Dry Vacuum $2 per use Rental Rags $0.15 each Oil/Anti-freeze disposal $1 per gallon
Heating and Cooling - Restricted Equipment*
Service Fee Air Conditioning Service $45 plus freon Evacuation Only $15 Leak Check $15 plus freon Performance Testing $15 plus freon
Tires / Wheels - Restricted Equipment*
(AR 215-1, 8-10(11))
Service Fee Tire Mounting (Low Profile) $10 per tire Aluminum Wheel Mounting $8 per wheel Steel Wheel Mounting $8 per wheel Wheel Balancing $8 per wheel Custom Tire Balancing $12 per tire Truck/Oversize Balancing $15 per tire Resurface Rotors & Drums $15 each Tire Rotation $20
Service Fee Passenger Cars $20 SUVs (35+ psi) $25 Refills $2
Service Fee Front end $65 Front & Rear $80 Assessment $20
Vehicle must be removed at the end of ninety days!
Extended Parking Service Fee Engine storage $4 per day Vehicle Parking - Outside Daily $5 per day Vehicle Parking - Outside Monthly $90 per month
Vehicle Parking - Inside
$10 per day (Monday. Tuesday, Wednesday)
+ hourly bay fee during regular operating hours (Thursday to Sunday)
Safety Training Class - $5 per person
Staff-performed services other than oil changes, AC service, and wheel alignment - $70 per hour plus parts.
*Restricted Equipment: Performed by trained automotive skills personnel only. AR 215-1, 8-18(11)
*** Attention Patrons! ***
Due to staff shortages, we are canceling While You Wait Wednesday until further notice. Thank you for your understanding.