- Gaffney Fitness Center Amenities
Fitness Center Amenities
- Customer service/information desk
- 65-inch TV to assist in sustaining your workout
- Cardiovascular room with treadmills, steppers, bikes, rowers and more.
- Eleven TVs to assist in sustaining your workout
- Hammer Strength plate-loaded equipment
- Nautilus machines and Life Fitness cardio equipment
- Expanded women's locker rooms
- Men's and women's sauna
- 25 m indoor pool
- Sun deck
- Functional fitness rooms with a TRX suspension system, deadlift platforms, and squat racks.
Active-duty, Reservists, retirees, and their Family members with military ID card. DOD Civilians, retired Civilians, and their immediate dependents up to 21 years of age.
- DoD contract personnel and their Family members will no longer be eligible.
- Non-DoD federal employees working on the installation will no longer be eligible.
- Children of DoD Civilian employees are eligible only up to the age of 21.
- Children of retired DoD Civilian employees are eligible only up to the age of 21.
Gaffney and Murphy Fitness Centers are solely funded by appropriated funds. The money received to maintain the facilities and their equipment is based on the installation's active-duty service member population. These funds do not take into account the wear and tear of the current number of individuals being admitted into the facilities. In attempting to accommodate the majority of individuals on the installation, DFMWR is jeopardizing the ability to provide a first-class fitness center for active-duty service members. Due to this, DFMWR must alter its current eligibility standards for both facilities.
Ensuring our service members are "Mission Ready" is our top priority. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation during this time of transition.
- Patrons must wipe down equipment after each use.
- Use weight collars at all times.
- Gym bags are not authorized in the cardio / weight room.
- Limit workout to 30 minutes per machine, per person.
- Wipe down the machine after each use.
Authorized children ages 13-17 may use the fitness center with an authorized adult/patron. Children must have an ID or document with proof of age to enter the facility. The adult must be with the adolescent at all times.
Children during Sporting Events:
If children are present during intramural games, they must be supervised by an authorized adult who is not participating in the activity.
Food and Beverage
No food is allowed inside the facility. Only water is allowed during workouts and intramurals.
- Plastic sports bottles with a non-spill, snap close drinking spout (biking water bottles) may be filled with water only and used inside the facility.
- All other beverage containers and food items are restricted to the lobby or outside.
It is the patron’s responsibility to secure their valuables while utilizing Gaffney Fitness center and Murphy Field House. MWR will not be held responsible for patrons’ property. Please bring your own lock for lockers. Staff may not safeguard personal property.
Use of foul language (cursing), yelling, fighting or heated arguments will not be tolerated at any time for any reason. Gaffney / Murphy staff will handle inappropriate behavior in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures.
- Dress Code Policy
Athletic attire appropriate to the activity is mandated to ensure the safety, personal hygiene and protection of customers and property.
Shirt, shorts/pants and shoes are required at all times while working out in the fitness centers (except pool).
- Socks and appropriate athletic shoes (tennis, running, court, cross country, Vibram five finger shoes)
- No bare feet, flip flops, footwear with a heel, dress shoes, sandals, open-toe shoes, crocs/clogs allowed
- Shorts must be longer than finger-tip length when arms are straight alongside of body
- No saggy pants, jeans, khaki/and or dress pants, skirts, dresses or unsafe or offensive attire
- No bikinis
- No exposed gluteus muscles
- Un-modified T-shirt, sweatshirts or tank tops; (workout tops with built in under garment are ok)
- Sports bras/ bras must have attire over it
- No clothing with rivets
- No modified t-shirts or tank tops (cannot cut off sleeves or cut large areas under arm hole)
- No bikinis
- No exposed chest/nipple area
- Proper hygiene
- Limited use of perfume/cologne
- No unsafe or offensive attire
ACU’s/BDU’s are allowed to be worn in the weight room only for Active Duty Service Members
Approved Command-issued (military) PT gear is allowed by those authorized to wear it.
Fitness Center Staff has final discretion on appropriate attire. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Personal Training
Personal Training at Gaffney Fitness CenterGaffney Fitness Center is now offering a personal training program. Those interested must be able to show a proper ID to use the facility. Your personalized consult to determine your fitness goals is free! Check out each trainer's specialties, certifications, and pricing package.
Please contact Gaffney Fitness Center for more information and to learn how to schedule sessions with your new personal trainer.
- Fitness Coordinator Services
Fitness Coordinator Services at Gaffney and Murphy Fitness Centers:
- Fitness Equipment Orientation
- Fitness Assessment
- Three-Site Caliper Body Composition (body fat)
- Basic Workout Program/Troubleshooting (one-time appointment)
The following services can be scheduled for your group, office section, or unit:
- Basic Nutrition for Groups (group session)
- Weight Lifting for Beginners (group session)
- Three-Site Caliper Body Composition (body fat) Group Testing. This is non-invasive testing.
Call the Fitness Coordinator at +1(301)677-2349 for an appointment at Gaffney or Murphy Fitness Centers.
- Free Adult Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Every Wednesday, 5:30-7 p.m.
Tidal Wave Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is free for all students. Promotions, testing, and participation are also free when eligible. We are a CAT5 Jiu-Jitsu affiliations, IBJJF registered and Belt Checker registered.
For more information, call 301-677-3716 or email email@example.com
Facebook: Tidal Wave BJJ (Fort Meade)
- All Army Sports Program
Learn more about All Army Sports here.
- Intramural Sports
Fort Meade offers the following Intramural Sports programs for active-duty only:
- Basketball: starts in January
- Volleyball: starts in April
- Softball: starts in June
- Flag Football: starts in September
The Sports Department will advertise each program through MWR before the start of the season. Follow all of our programs at www.quickscores.com/ftmeadesports for detailed information on when leagues start and team schedules.
Sports Office: +1(301)677-3318.
- Indoor Pool
See information on Indoor Pool (Aquatics Program).
- Murphy Field House 24/7 Registration Form
24 Hour Fitness at Murphy Field House - *Closed until further notice.
Over the Christmas weekend there was a water leak at Murphy Field House which caused flooding on the main floor / basketball courts. The flooding resulted in extensive damage making the facility unusable. As result, the 2023 Intramural Basketball Season has been cancelled and the facility is closed until further notice.
Murphy Field House is now offering patrons unmanned and extended hours, beyond normal operating hours. Murphy Field House will be open 24/7 to authorized registered patrons 18 years and older.
Available to utilize:
- Cardio equipment
- Nautilus weight machines
- Racquetball courts - must bring own equipment
Not available during unmanned hours:
- Free weights
- Basketball court
Registration is required to gain access to the facility by fingerprint reader. Please visit Gaffney Fitness Center or Murphy Field House for a copy of the registration form. Please call +1(301)677-3716 if you have questions.
- Group Fitness Schedule
- November (PDF)
Group Fitness Pass and Drop-in Prices
- Drop-ins $5
- H2O HITT $5
- 10 Class punch card $40
- 20 Class punch card $80
We accept cash, cards, and checks. Must bring exact change for drop-ins. We accept cash, cards, and checks. All sales final. Cards are good for three months.
- 2023 Fun Run Series
Visit the 2023 Fort Meade Fun Run Series page here.
- Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT) Equipment Reservation Form
- Gaffney/Field Reservation Form
5-7a.m. Active Duty Services members only
7-9 a.m. Open to all eligible ID card holders
9-10 a.m. Facility closed for cleaning
10 a.m.-7 p.m. Open to all eligible ID card holders
8 a.m.-12 p.m. Open to all eligible ID card holders, locker rooms, showers and saunas are closed*
Federal Holidays: 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Open to all eligible ID card holders (locker rooms are closed)*
Training Holidays: 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Open to all eligible ID card holders (locker rooms are closed)*
The Indoor Pool is available by reservation only for Active Duty training and aquatics programs.
** Murphy Field House remains closed at this time.